As I head home from CES 2023, I am more filled with anticipation for the year to come than perhaps ever before. Over the last year, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. unleashed an incredible portfolio of Wi-Fi 7 solutions and now we’re beginning to see our global customers launch their first Wi-Fi 7 products, initiating a new era of unbelievably immersive experiences spanning the workplace, our homes, and everywhere in between. Our Wi-Fi 7 journey began years ago, and became visible to the world in 2022 with the unveiling of our full Wi-Fi 7 portfolio: FastConnect 7800 for client devices, Wi-Fi 7 Qualcomm Networking Pro Series professional-grade networks, and Qualcomm Immersive Home Wi-Fi 7 Platforms for home networks.
The Wi-Fi 7 era follows remarkable adoption of Wi-Fi 6E around the world, delivering the benefits from the 6GHz spectrum across multiple segments:
- For home connectivity: Product announcements featuring the Qualcomm Immersive Home and Networking Pro Platforms from ARRIS, Eero, Google, Linksys, and Netgear brought high-performance connectivity to every corner of the home.
- For gaming: Devices like ASUS ROG Phone 6 and the Razer Edge 5G are breakthroughs in gaming, empowering gamers to play virtually anywhere.
- In the enterprise: Next-generation productivity is enabled with product offerings featuring the Qualcomm Networking Pro platforms from Arista, Aruba, Cambium Networks, and Ruckus, plus the Lenovo ThinkPad X13s, which delivers ultra-portable, high-performance connectivity.
- Outdoors: Conditional approval of Qualcomm’s AFC system operation by the FCC brings us one step closer to realizing the full benefits of 6GHz spectrum, with a great example being Cambium Networks’ latest product release, the ePMP 4600 for fixed wireless broadband access, enabling service providers in rural and suburban areas.
- Internationally: 6GHz spectrum momentum continued to accelerate, as many more countries are opening the band for Wi-Fi. We were thrilled to work with Sony and NEC to announce a complete Wi-Fi 6E ecosystem in Japan just as the country opened the 6 GHz Band.With Wi-Fi 6E momentum sure to continue, 2023 will prove to be a momentous year for Wi-Fi 7 as our inventor’s and technology pioneers’ innovations yield amazing new products embraced by our customers and experienced by users.
TP-Link Wi-Fi 7 releases
In November of last year, TP-Link was the first to launch a full home and business Wi-Fi 7 product line. They unveiled a wide portfolio of Wi-Fi 7 networking devices featuring Qualcomm Networking Pro Series platforms, including high-performance whole-home mesh systems in the Deco series. The powerful Deco BE95, featuring the Quad-Band Qualcomm Networking Pro 1620 platform, brings whole-home multi-Gig connectivity to enter a new 10G era. Also included in this launch, the Omada enterprise APs bring Wi-Fi 7 performance to challenging enterprise environments.
FastConnect 7800 designs launched
In just the last few weeks, numerous smartphones have launched powered by FastConnect 7800, including the iQOO 11 Pro, Nubia Z50, OPPO Find N2, Moto x40, and the RedMagic 8 Pro Series.
Xiaomi launch event
Before the new year, Xiaomi launched its 13 and 13 Pro flagship smartphones featuring FastConnect 7800, and this launch also features the Xiaomi Router 10000, a flagship tri-band router built to easily manage next-generation applications, featuring our Qualcomm Networking Pro Series 1220 platform, and the Xiaomi 13 Pro smartphone, featuring High Band Simultaneous (HBS) Multi-Link, for unparalleled wireless connectivity.
ARRIS SURFboard G54
At CES, we just saw the release of the ARRIS SURFboard G54 featuring the Qualcomm Networking Pro 1220 Platform. This flagship product is a DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem with a built-in quad-band Wi-Fi 7 Router. With cutting-edge modem and Wi-Fi technology, the G54 creates the ultimate home networking experience.
Leading the way
This array of leading partners around the world bringing a vibrant Wi-Fi 7 ecosystem to their customers is a remarkable validation that the Wi-Fi 7 era is here. This Wi-Fi 7 momentum is also a meaningful endorsement of our technology approach, as we set our solutions apart by providing global value to users. In addition to offering expert implementation of Wi-Fi 7 features, including 320MHz channels, Multi-Link Operation (MLO), and adaptive puncturing, we’ve innovated game-changing features across our platforms:
- HBS Multi-Link: FastConnect 7800 offers a specialized variation of MLO known as HBS Multi-Link. HBS Multi-Link is the ultimate form of MLO because it offers two simultaneous high band connections for extremely high throughput and low latency. This is an absolute game-changer for global speeds and demanding applications.
- Qualcomm Multi-Link Mesh: A true breakthrough approach to mesh Wi-Fi, Qualcomm Multi-Link Mesh is optimized for modern network conditions and enables increased performance for both legacy and the newest Wi-Fi 7 connected devices.
This year is off to a great start, with so many groundbreaking Wi-Fi 7 devices, and I cannot wait to see what’s next as the year unfolds.