European data centre market 2022 identifies the Top 10 Trends in the European third-party Data Centre market. The research highlights the rapid increase in Data Centre capacity and revenues taking place in the aftermath of the Covid-19 pandemic according to Research and Markets.
The analyst identifies the Top 10 key trends taking place over the next 4-year period impacting Data Centres. The report provides a forecast for Data Centre raised floor space, Data Centre Customer Power (DCCP), Data Centre Pricing & Data Centre Revenues across the region and identifies the largest key Data Centre city Metro Markets.
The key findings are:
- The largest markets are the UK, Germany, the Netherlands and France:
- The main growth in Data Centre capacity will take place in Tier 2 Metro Markets
- New Hyperscale Data Centres are being introduced that will transform the Tier 2 Metro Markets
- Data Centre supply is being boosted by new Private Equity investment
- European Data Centre revenues are forecast to increase by more than 60% over the 4 year period to 2026
- The impact of the demand for Data Centre Power is creating serious environmental concerns
- Spain is the Data Centre market (dominated by the Madrid Metro) which will start to challenge the established Metro markets
- As European Data Centre markets reach maturity there is less space and power available for new facility developments. One solution is to expand Data Centres in lower cost Tier II markets where land is more widely available and power more abundant.
The Metro Markets outside of the established Data Centre hubs are attracting more large-scale investment. For example, Sines, located south of Lisbon in Portugal, is attracting up to USD $4.5 billion of private equity-led Data Centre investment in a new campus of up to 495 MW of power when complete.
Finally, the new report highlights the advantages of the Nordics region as a location for power hungry applications – with abundant low-cost renewable energy available addressing environmental concerns using free cooling in a cool climate providing a reduced PUE (Power Usage Effectiveness) ratio than for the other traditional Metro Markets.