Posted by Ciena
Responding to the constantly evolving needs of its end users who require seemingly endless amounts of bandwidth to continually support web-scale demand for content, video and gaming applications, Southern Cross Cable Limite has once again demonstrated the adaptive nature of its network, connecting the first single-wavelength 800G across a live production network using Ciena’s WaveLogic 5 Extreme (WL5e) coherent optics.
With WL5e, Southern Cross will continue to adapt its network to be more scalable, intelligent and ideally positioned to respond to the evolving connectivity demands of its customers. The new 800G channel speed ran error-free on Southern Cross’ live production network between two large, global data centers on the U.S. West Coast and demonstrated record-breaking spectral efficiencies. Southern Cross will begin volume deployment of WL5e in the second calendar quarter of 2020 across various segments of its network, including Trans-Pacific submarine cables and terrestrial cables across U.S. West Coast and New Zealand.
- Southern Cross currently owns and operates a Trans-Pacific submarine cable network connecting Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and Hawaii to the mainland United States. The network has 28,900 kilometers of submarine cables and 1,600 kilometers of terrestrial fiber optic cables. Southern Cross is currently implementing a third high-capacity route to its ecosystem, the Southern Cross NEXT project, which is due for completion by the end of 2021 with a planned capability of 72Tbs+.
- Southern Cross connected two major data centers via Ciena’s WaveLogic 5 Extreme, which is the industry’s first 800G commercial solution. Leveraging WL5e’s leading-edge coherent optical technology, Southern Cross will be able to provide an end-to-end connectivity solution that is faster, uses less space and power, and delivers up to 50 percent more capacity than before.
- Southern Cross is using Ciena’s GeoMesh Extreme solution, which includes the 6500 Packet-Optical Platform powered by WL5e, to upgrade capacity by more than 40 times the original design potential, utilizing the same infrastructure that was originally designed to transport 2.5Gbps wavelengths.
- “Transforming and modernizing our networks to support next-generation applications and growing bandwidth demands is an ongoing process. Working with Ciena and adapting our network again with their latest coherent optical solution illustrates our commitment to consistently optimizing our assets to be smarter and more efficient. In today’s increasingly hyper-connected world, delivering an incredible customer experience depends on the ability of Southern Cross to create innovative services and provide the capacity needed to meet constantly changing demands. Ciena’s WL5e technology once again allows us to deliver on that ambition.”―Laurie Miller, President and CEO, Southern Cross Cables Limited
- “As many internet service providers are looking to the submarine cable industry to provide reliable connectivity to their customers, leading operators like Southern Cross need networks that can adapt to fluctuating connectivity demands. With WaveLogic 5, we are delivering the industry’s first 800G solution and reinforcing our leadership in providing the highest performance optics in the market.”―Rick Seeto, Vice President and General Manager of Asia-Pacific and Japan, Ciena