Connect with us

International Circuit

HKT customers in Hong Kong face outage following underground cable damage

Some Hong Kong Telecom (HKT) customers have been left without internet, mobile and television services because of damage to an underground cable in Kowloon.

The telecoms operator later said at about 11pm on Tuesday that all affected services had resumed normal operation.

The Highways Department received a report from the contractor responsible for the Central Kowloon Route – Yau Ma Tei East at about 11am that it had damaged an underground optical fibre cable “by accident” while carrying out tunnel construction works.

“No person was injured in the incident, and the contractor immediately notified the telecommunications company of the incident,” a spokesman said. “The Highways Department is following up the case with the telecommunications company, and the cause of the incident is yet to be determined.”

The department also apologised for the inconvenience caused to members of the public, saying that it had demanded the contractor carry out a thorough investigation and take necessary steps to avoid similar incidents from recurring.

The Office of the Communications Authority said it also received a report from HKT about the damage near Jordan station at about noon on Tuesday.

HKT said on its Facebook page in the afternoon that a fibre cable at a construction site near Tsim Sha Tsui and Jordan had been damaged by a third party and emergency repairs were under way.

Franchised bus firm KMB said its customer services hotlines had been disrupted at one point and urged the public to use its smartphone app or website for real-time information.

An HKT spokesman said: “Some customers in the affected area may experience temporary issues in accessing our broadband, mobile and Now TV services.

“We will provide further updates should new information become available. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.”

Images posted on Facebook by HKT showed engineers inspecting the site, while two construction workers were seen digging with shovels.

The Central Kowloon Route will connect Yau Ma Tei and the Kai Tak Development Area in southeastern Kowloon and is expected to be operational next year.

It was not immediately clear how many customers were affected by the suspension. South China Morning Post

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2024 Communications Today

error: Content is protected !!