Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio has advanced by a day to July 20 the launch of its monsoon ‘hungama’ scheme that would offer its JioPhone to customers for Rs 501, a company source said.
Earlier, in the annual general meeting of Reliance Industries, Ambani had announced that the scheme will begin from July 21.
The offer will begin at 5.01 PM on Friday, the timing that reflects the Rs 501 price tag of the JioPhone. The registration for new JioPhone is already live on the official website of Relaince Jio.
“Jio will start monsoon hungama scheme from 5.01 pm on July 20. Even the timing has been kept to reflect effective price of the phone,” the source told PTI.
According to the source, Reliance Jio will announce the terms and condition of the scheme on Friday.
From August 15 onward, both existing and new, JioPhone users will also get to access Facebook, WhatsApp and Youtube. The phone, however, supports Google Maps.
Under the present scheme, mobile subscribers using feature of any brand can exchange it with new JioPhone for effective price of Rs 501 — a price for which Reliance Industries Limited’s telecom arm in 2003 had offered mobile phone to consumers.
The phone will not come bundled with any plans. There is no data or calling plan recharged on it. Users can either choose the Rs 49 or Rs 153 JioPhone recharge plan for the 4G services on Jio network. The Rs 49 plan gives a user 1GB of 4G data and unlimited voice calling for 28 days. The Rs 153 tariff plan, on the other hand, offers 1.5GB data benefit per day, unlimited voice and 100 SMS per day for 28 days.
In his speech on RIL annual general meeting, Mukesh Ambani had said that 25 million people have opted for JioPhone and the company is now looking to get 100 million consumers of JioPhone.
Back in 2003, when Reliance Infocomm (now Reliance Communications) had launched the scheme in the same name it was under control of Mukesh Ambani.
The scheme in 2003 had led to a sharp increase in market share of the company and according to a leading telecom entrepreneur it had raised question on the survival of other leading mobile operators in the market.
Reliance Infocomm came under the control of Anil Ambani after the division of assets between the two brothers in 2005.
Is your old phone eligible for exchange?
Your old phone must meet the following conditions to be eligible for exchange:
1. Mobile phone in working condition currently (Handset must be in working condition without any
damage/missing parts or broken/burnt parts)
2. Mobiles that were sold in the last 3.5 years (1st Jan’ 2015 onwards) are eligible for exchange.
3. Any 2G, 3G, 4G (non-VOLTE) devices will be accepted for exchange.
4. JioPhone or any CDMA or operator locked devices WILL NOT be accepted for exchange.
5. Apart from Battery & Charger, no other accessories (like headphone etc.) are required for exchange.
What you should carry while going to exchange the old feature phone
1. Old mobile phone in working condition
2. Battery and Charger of old phone
3. Aadhaar number
4. In case of MNP, please carry the new MNP JIO number
Enhanced app ecosystem
1. Starting 15th August, JioPhone will be equipped with the world’s most popular apps like Facebook,
WhatsApp, YouTube and Google Maps, the JioPhone is redefining the way India accesses education,
entertainment, information and other important services.
2. JioPhone users are already enjoying free voice calls and a host of applications with premium content
on the go such as JioTV, JioCinema, JioMusic, JioChat.
3. The users are also making the most of the innovative Voice Command feature to make calls, send
messages, search the internet, play music, watch videos and operate the entire suite of applications available on the JioPhone. – Business Standard