The government is working with all sectors to ensure efficient use of spectrum for convergence of emerging technologies, K Rajaraman, Chairman, DCC & Secretary, Department of Telecommunications, Government of India said at the India Space Congress 2022. “With the promises of convergence of a lot of these technologies and the development of new methods and new technologies that is obviously an opportunity for us to actually sit together and ensure that the spectrum which is currently deployed to be used in a more efficient manner.”
“(As) technologies evolve continuously, therefore, the use of spectrum also needs to evolve…to give ways to effective and more productive ways of deployment of spectrum,” he added
Some of the points he made in his presentation:
- The use of digital technologies combined with national identity Aadhaar, and Jan Dhan, India has brought in tremendous results specially during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Technology is great transformer and that disrupts economy by timely delivering of services and eliminates corruption.
- In the BharatNet program, the government has employed as many as 7,000 VSAT to reach out to remotest areas.
- The cost of logistics can be cut down to 5-6% through the use of NB-IoT, driven by satellite communications (satcom).
- The combination of production-linked incentive scheme and Universal Service Obligation Fund-driven R&D fund will be able to fulfil India’s ambition.
- Companies should come forward to set up fabless manufacturing units in the country backed by the MeitY-driven mission.
- DoT is working to cut down red tape and exempted a captive fee of Rs 10,000 per terminal per year.